New Radio in My Mobile


I have worn out the VFO on the magnificent little ft-100 that has served me well in my mobile. The rig works fine apart from the actual vfo that has now locked up which makes it awkward tuning around the bands using the select knob and mic buttons instead of the vfo, and of course driving at the same time.

After trying to operate this way for a couple of days, I soon decided to take the ft-100 out of the vehicle and exchange it for the ft-857 from the shack at my QTH.
The ft-100 will be ok interfaced to the p.c where my mouse, keypad, and screen control my rig. I will send off at the same time to yaesu UK and hopefully obtain a replacement VFO which looks fairly simple to install.

In the meantime I have been running the two rigs in reverse rolls, I am just about getting used to the changes in my mobile. I am not sure about the ft-857 on 20M or 40M as I have only had a couple of QSOs on each band so far, but apart from the electrical noise picked up from my Toyota Rav4 all is well. The ft-100 seemed to have a better resistance to QRN created from the vehicle ignition system unlike this more modern ft-857.
The ft-857 has a more pleasant sound through the same ext speaker especially when the engine is no longer running. I fitted an RFI choke close to the battery and another near the rig so hopefully time will tell of how the rig truly performs in the mobile after such an impressive predecessor the ft-100.
73 and if you hear me on I'd appreciate a report.

Comments

Louise said…
We'll get you some ferrite rings at the weekend! Or we'll get you a new VFO.
MØYKS Simon said…
Sounds like a good idea ;-) I fancy getting both_..
Phaze58 said…
I have been on honest.., just U/G to 4MB BB so am going to put you back on the MSN MESANGER list when I get your hotmail addie,(coz Ive forgot it) and how do I get my mug on I've tried but failed. (bummer)
solution to ft 100 look on e-bay for spares or repaires, I have :)failing that there is a thing Ive got on my IC-746 called a cd cable with EMC filter,. Try looking for one of those simon
Gud Luk
M1PAC :))
MØYKS Simon said…
Thanks Phil I will try find one and give it go. Cheers

Popular posts from this blog

New DX Contact 0n 12 Meters

Homebrew 40/80 Trap Dipole Design

Full Size Delta Loop for 20M