HF Backpacking

Since I tested my latest project the miracle antenna mount, I decided to make another type of portable mount only this time I wanted something to house a mobile whip. I came up with a four legged stand which I made from 6mm thick aluminium as seen in the picture.


Once I cut the aluminium, I was able to bend the four legs into the required shape fairly easily using a fly press. I then began to assemble the mobile antenna mount that would allow my vast collection of mobile HF antenna’s to be mounted securely as well as gaining a good RF ground through the mount.

The next stage was to add wire radials directly to the aluminum which can be spread out into an X configuration.


Once I completed the build I packed the gear into my rucksack and headed outside to climb the Moor top. After around 20 minutes of doggy walking, I found a bell pit where I quickly set up and I tried 20m and 15m out with some interesting results.

Louise – M3TLL and or furry companion Dudley were kind enough to once again catch my crazy antics on film during our walkabout.

Here is the latest video from the windy Moor tops


Special Thanks goes to all Stations in the video.

Comments

James (2E0JCA) said…
Very nice! Amazing what you can do in a decent location!
MØYKS Simon said…
Thanks James,

Baildon Moor top is just about 1000ft asl.

All the best and many thanks,

Simon.
balloona said…
nice
http://balloonaprivat.thumblogger.com/home/
Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
mike said…
Hello Simon,
Just come across your website for the first time very interesting, the video was great.I am thinking of buying a ft817, sounds like you got great results. were you using an external power supplyor nicads
Thanks again
mike G0DJM
Harrogate
MØYKS Simon said…
Hi Mike thanks for your comment.

I was using some internal NiCad batteries which power the ft-817 reasonably well. I get a good hour or so of TX time when using SSB which is pretty good for the NiCads.

I have tried the little rig with a power supply and base station antenna (Hustler 6BTV) and worked across the pond State side with less than 5 Watts.

They are an impressive little rig when coupled up to the right antenna, you won’t be disappointed!

73 hope to work you soon from baildon Moor (about 15 miles away from Harrogate.

Simon

Popular posts from this blog

New DX Contact 0n 12 Meters

Homebrew 40/80 Trap Dipole Design

Full Size Delta Loop for 20M