Home Brew Radial Grounding stakes


Since I installed the Hustler 6BTV at my new QTH I have been planning on making some radials similar to the ones I have attached to my other 6BTV which is up at the Moor top QTH. The original hustler has done me proud for over six years with its ground mount and simple wire radials.

I really like the performance of these antennas as well as there durability, that's why I had to go for a second one!

I got hold of some brass sheet which I cut into strips about 40mm wide. I then cut one end of each strip into a sharp V shape. The next job was to fold the opposite end over and tap it flush to provide extra strength when hammering the stake into the ground. I then folded the complete strip into the final V shaped angle approximately 45º creating a nice brass ground stake. The finishing touch was to drill a small hole to attach a soldered lug/wire radial which can be hammered beneath the ground surface in the garden.

The second part of the job involved cutting some more brass sheet which I formed into a circular shape to be fixed at the base beneath the hustler. I drilled lots of holes in the brass grounding plate allowing me to screw many radials into it. I also formed some 8mm round bar into a U clamp which I fit to the Brass grounding plate ready to attach to the 6BTV antenna.

WX permitting I plan to have a play with my new radial kit sometime over the weekend, I have a roll of 2.5mm wire, a hammer and tape measure ready on stand by. I will try get some pictures for you to see the result. Till next time 73 have a good weekend.

Comments

Paul Blundell said…
Hi Simon,

I've been a regular reader of your blog and youtube videos for maybe 6 months now.
I have finally got my M6 licence and currently run a Yaesu FT-817 so it's QRP for me !! I've got an SRC X-80 vertical mounted only 2 feet above ground but is working quite well, I have x1 4ft copper pipe for the ground with x2 20ft wire radials dug about 1cm under ground. Does that sound pretty good to you ? I commented on this post because your idea seems like something I might try.

Anyway I'm waffling, keep up the good work on this blog and the videos coming !!!
Hope to work you on the band one day, I'll keep listening out for you !

73

Paul - M6PBB
MØYKS Simon said…
Hi Paul, Congrats on your new Call sign and it sounds like your well on your way to making many QSO on the FT817 and SRC X-80.

Your radial instalation sounds alright to me, just keep adding if you can.

Look forward to hearing you on the bands soon. 73 from b Simon - 2e0hts
Lassia said…
Thanks for sharing with us .Surelia Industries manufactures, supplies, exports, and imports Radial drill.

Popular posts from this blog

New DX Contact 0n 12 Meters

Homebrew 40/80 Trap Dipole Design

Full Size Delta Loop for 20M