My First HF Rig Still Going Strong



This little beauty has been hiding in the top of my wardrobe since I first moved in, I had almost forgotten all about my first ever HF Transceiver the YAESU FT-890.

I built a 20m dipole and went with the easy option of inverting the dipole fed with coax  from my sat array mast which is nearby on the outside wall. I hooked up my old Nevada TM1000 antenna tuner also tucked away in my wardrobe along with a brand spanking new 30 amp PSU I bought a few years back as a backup.

 Out with the soldering iron and the little setup was soon fired up and tucked away in the corner of our dining room. It is working well on 20m with the inverted V, I use the Nevada to tune the Inverted V for best reception on the other bands with ease as the old unit is well put together. I had always thought that the FT-890 was a great radio and I am planning on keeping it set up for a while. I can have a listen to the bands when I am sat at the table having a snack h.i.So far I made a QSO into Lithuania at a report of 5/9 with just 10 watts, so far so good. I'll keep you posted. 73..

Comments

VE9KK said…
It's great that you have your first rig mine was the Icom 745 and I sold it! seems all my rigs were sold to get funds to purchase the next rig.
Mike
MØYKS Simon said…
Thanks Mike,

I remember the Icom 745, a friend of mine had one and loved it. I am what's known as a "hoarder" h.i and don't ever get rid of anything. You won't be surprised to hear I still have a couple of 1979 AM 40 channel CBs stashed away ;-) along with too much other junk! Best 73 and Merry Christmas to you and yours Mike!

Popular posts from this blog

New DX Contact 0n 12 Meters

Full Size Delta Loop for 20M

Homebrew 40/80 Trap Dipole Design